12.08.2007

#9

Gui Boratto - Chromophobia



I'm not a techophobe -- never have been. But I'd say this is the first year where I've embraced the electronic genre with open arms. Blame it on my time with Stylus or blame it on the micro-masterpieces of minimalism from The Field, Pantha Du Prince, Deepchord, Burial, and locally by Deathly Fighter, but I've become accustomed to finding truth within circuits and loops.

The title of this one suggests that this Brazilian composer has a fear of color -- within the cold and calculated structures that may be true -- but Boratto reveals human errors, a human hand that allows cracks through which vibrancy flows. Of all the brilliant releases this year, Chromophobia sounds the most organic, a prism through which all forms of melody are welcome even when traditionally shunned.

No comments: