6.17.2010

Kynodontas = Dogtooth


I seem to remember a time when my imagination, and subsequent creative writing projects, were at full tilt. I think I was around 15 when I wrote a short story about a boy who was subject to live in a basement, with absolutely no contact with the outside world. It was very Kasper Hauser, way before I'd discovered Herzog. I named it "In the Box" and would gladly give anyone an obscene amount of money if they could rescue this manuscript from whatever landfill it now calls home. The idea of the isolated child, developing in a vacuum of stringent definitions and ideals, is really nothing new, it's just impossible to accurately portray -- seeing as very few of us have experienced such. Well, here's Dogtooth. A Greek film that follows the daily life of three teens growing up inside a compound of surrealism, never to escape into reality and discover it's not all that appropriate to imitate a dog, cats aren't the evil monsters mom and dad say they are, and the word "zombie" does not mean "little yellow flower." Yes, this is the world these parents have given their children. There's so much absurd, yet very believable, detail to this film that it's extremely difficult to express here. All I can say is seek it out. It's like I found Herzog and Haneke bickering at the bottom of a cup of Fage yogurt. It's that good.

No comments: